Kairos: Making a difference for Christ...
The mission of the Kairos Prison Ministry is to bring Christ's love and forgiveness to all incarcerated individuals and to assist in the transition of becoming a productive citizen.
On October 25 - 28 Kairos Team #66 will be going to G.K. Fountain Prison in Atmore, AL. We go there to bring the love of God and the light of Christ into the prison. As an army of volunteers from many different churches, we go to become the hands and feet of Christ for 42 inmates who come seeking a new way of life. Kairos is a ministry of love - God's love! This ministry focuses on bringing His love to the inmates and to the prison officials who work with them.
When you did it (visited the prisoner on my behalf) to the least of these, you did it unto me. Matthew 25:40
You too can be part of this ministry.
"Oh, I can't go into the prison," you say to yourself. Well, yes, you can in several different ways. In Kairos anyone can be a prison minister for Christ! Some people go into the prison to work directly with the inmates while others make home-cooked meals in a local church. Others make cookies at home and still others make financial contributions to the ministry. Others even make posters, create placemats, or write letters that express the love of God.
Handmade placemats or letters from children (no last names, please) are a powerful tool of the Holy Spirit that can break open a lifetime of sorrow. I know from personal observation how powerful these letters can be to open the hardened hearts of many of the inmates, bringing them to tears, tears that haven't been shed for many years.
Cookies! Cookies! Cookies!
Yes, that's another way you can be part of this Kairos ministry. We will take hundreds of dozens of cookies to the prisoners and to the guards as well. You should to see the inmates gobble them up! While many of the inmates will tell you that they signed up to attend the weekend for the food and cookies, by Friday evening or Saturday morning, most if not all will have experienced the love of Christ in a very special way.
So how do you want to participate in this Kairos weekend? If it is baking cookies or writing letters or making placemats, please have them ready for pickup at the church by October 24th. If you would like to be part of a prayer vigil, choose any hour or combination of times throughout the weekend. A prayer list will be available for you to sign in the Narthex. We start on Thursday at 4PM and continue through Sunday till 6PM.
How to Join Team #66
If you would like to join team #66 that will enter into the prison, please do the following:
- Print, fill out, and bring this application form with you to the first team meeting.
- Attend PREA training (info and dates listed below).
- Attend team meetings (dates listed below).
If you have never had PREA training, please call (251) 626-0123 and pre-register for one of the following PREA training sessions (only one is required):
- August 11, 2018 from 7:30am - 12:00pm at City Hope Church in Daphne, AL
- September 26, 2018 from 6:30pm - 9:00pm at City Hope Church in Daphne, AL.
Team Meeting Dates
- Meeting #1 - August 25, 2018 from 7:30am - 1:00pm at Providence United Methodist Church in Spanish Fort, AL
- Meeting #2 - September 8, 2018 from 7:30am - 1:00pm at Providence United Methodist Church in Spanish Fort, AL
- Meeting #3 - September 22, 2018 from 7:30am - 1:00pm at Providence United Methodist Church in Spanish Fort, AL
- Meeting #4 - October 6, 2018 from 7:30am - 1:00pm at Providence United Methodist Church in Spanish Fort, AL
- Meeting # 5 - October 20, 2018 from 8:00am - 1:00pm at the Kaiser Center in Atmore, AL (Kairos Retreat)
For more information on Kairos Prison Ministry, visit the Kairos web site at www.kairosprisonministry.org. Also, feel free to contact Jeff Tapley, Team #66 Weekend Leader, at (251) 802-2938. You may also contact Deacon Walt Howard at home at (251) 463-5146 or by e-mail at email@example.com.